History

Now, With a Building…1957-1980

Now, With a Building…1957-1980 With a Building & Property… The German Village became the focal point of all activities of the Niagara German-Canadian Club. Regular Saturday night dances began and Club functions occurred on certain Fridays. The Main Hall   The German Village Bowling League was formed in the fall of 1957. The German Village Soccer Club was founded in early 1958. Our children’s Christmas parties began in 1956 and our membership Christmas parties have been carried on since the mid 1960s. An Early Children’s Group   The first of our annual Mother’s Day functions was held in 1963. Over the years from 1957, the German Village has been expanded and redecorated. And.. with a little evolution.   .. we have Hall plus addition for Office and Blue Room The picnic area was developed in the early 1960s and our swimming pool in 1972 and patio in 1980 were constructed. […]

Read more...

Posted by Darren L - November 19, 2009 at 9:13 am

Categories: History   Tags:

The Birth of German Village

The Birth of German Village John Rapp Jr. President (1951-53, 55-60, 71-72) Up to 1956 the Club’s main problem had been the rental of halls for social activities. For at least ten years prior, the members had longed to have a hall of their own. As with most dreams, this seemed destined to remain beyond reach. Two men, however, with courage and vision combined their efforts to make this dream a reality. Against great odds, John Rapp Jr. (President) and George Schneider Sr. (Vice-President) set about the almost impossible task of convincing our members that a hall could be built. Their personal soliciting of all members for cash donations resulted in success. George Schneider Sr.Builder and Vice-President Late in the spring of 1955, a general meeting was called in the Dunn St. Fireman’s Recreation Hall. The $3000 received in pledges convinced the members that they could now go ahead with the project […]

Read more...

Posted by Darren L - November 19, 2009 at 9:13 am

Categories: History   Tags:

The Early Years 1934-1950

The Early Years 1934-1950 Frank Danecker Sr. Our First President (1935-1937) The Founding of the Niagara German-Canadian Club On Sunday, December 9, 1934, seven men met to discuss the possibilities of organizing a Benevolent Club (Leichen Verein). It was during the depression, work was scarce and times were hard. One of the many problems facing people during those difficult days was the problem of a respectable burial for their loved ones. When the tragedy of death struck, it brought along with sorrow, the almost impossible financial burden of a funeral. The Welfare Department paid a maximum of $25.00 in funeral expenses to needy families. This, however, was most inadequate for a proper burial. The need to draw the peoples of German origin together, with the hope of assisting each other, at least in this type of emergency, motivated the founding of our Club. The Founders were: Frank Danecker Sr., Joseph […]

Read more...

Posted by Darren L - November 19, 2009 at 9:12 am

Categories: History   Tags: